If you are in your eighth or ninth year as a National Board Certified teacher (NBCT), it is time to begin the NBCT renewal process. By renewing your certification, you can demonstrate that your professional practice remains consistent with the high and rigorous standards for your subject area.
When you renew, you:
- Maintain your designation as a National Board Certified Teacher and the right to use “NBCT.”
- Use renewal to reflect on how your teaching practice continues to support student learning.
- Preserve your professional stature even after you retire, leave the classroom or change careers.
- Continue to have the opportunity as an NBCT to advocate for educational reform and champion policies that support teaching excellence.
- Sustain salary incentives (in some states and localities).
- Stay connected through NBPTS programs, products and services such as NBCTLink, the new password-protected online community exclusively for NBCTs; AdvocacyLink, the new online advocacy resource; and NBPTS NewsLink, the online newsletter.
"Getting Started" Renewal Workshop Handout
Organizer to Prepare to Write Responses to Prompt Questions for PGEs
Multi-purpose Tool for Analyzing Your Teaching with the 8 Aspects of the Rubric
You may use this tool for different stages of completing the components —brainstorming, planning, analyzing video/student learning and written commentary.